FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Bible
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Non-Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnarly Dancer 42 wrote:
and if that checks out wouldn't the rest of the bible as well?

I don't get you here. Are you saying that because one fact might be true that makes every other thing written true?
Tin Solider3
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnarly Dancer 42 wrote:
Okay what about this...the new testament was written by eyewitnesses who saw the miracles that jesus did. the new testament was put together 30 to 40 years after jesus died. more than 500 people witnessed the resurrection of jesus.

if what was written was false, wouldn't people call it total crap and call those people out for writing down false events that never happened?

it would be like if somebody was trying to publish a history book of a bunch of wrong information on the vietnam war.

also they're still uncovering archeological artifacts that confirm different wars and events that have happened in the bible

Tons of false writings have been published that are false and people still believe in it. Conspiracy's? JFK? 9/11? Illuminati? Any other religion? Greeks? Also by saying that it's a eye witness account, this only confirms our argument that religion is bunk. Have you ever played the game telephone? Eye witness account is one of the worst proof of evidence you can use.
Gnarly Dancer 42
360 flip
360 flip

City: kalamazoo

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so basically you can't trust anything anywhere?

http://www.kearnsmedia.com
senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnarly Dancer 42 wrote:
Okay what about this...the new testament was written by eyewitnesses who saw the miracles that jesus did. the new testament was put together 30 to 40 years after jesus died. more than 500 people witnessed the resurrection of jesus.

if what was written was false, wouldn't people call it total crap and call those people out for writing down false events that never happened?

it would be like if somebody was trying to publish a history book of a bunch of wrong information on the vietnam war.

also they're still uncovering archeological artifacts that confirm different wars and events that have happened in the bible

Gnarly, I'm not saying Jesus didn't exist or he isn't the son of God... but the arguments you are using that "prove" the bible is fact are fallacious in nature. Think of it from an outsiders perspective who knows nothing about Jesus. The bible was put together 300+ years after Jesus lived... Would you consent that it is possible that the stories brought together to create the bible are not historically accurate and evolved over time?

Just a couple of hundred years ago people were burned at the stake for witchcraft here in America. There were witnesses to this "sorcery" then, so does that mean they were actually witches?

There is Greek mythology that has basis in history (they can prove certain wars/battles happened, cities once existed) but does that mean the Hercules is truly the son of Zeus?
Tin Solider3
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnarly Dancer 42 wrote:
so basically you can't trust anything anywhere?

No. But science has been the only true proven facts about the world and look where it has gotten us. We have GPS, smartphones, airplanes, cars, tv, computers, freaking etc. No scientist sat back and asked god to whip up some technology. Where has religion gotten us? War, war, and well mostly war.

And please don't think science is a cold and evil thing, it's one of the most beautiful tools known to humanity. To illuminate light where it was once dark, that's the motto of science.
senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Solider3 wrote:
And please don't think science is a cold and evil thing, it's one of the most beautiful tools known to humanity. To illuminate light where it was once dark, that's the motto of science.

Oof, You can't say that and say that the only thing religion has brought is war. There are good and bad aspects of both to be honest. Goodness and being religious are not mutually exclusive, but they are also not mutually inclusive either.

The pursuit of science has done some pretty f*cked up things historically to be honest. Racial hygienists in Nazi Germany consisted of scientists experimenting on humans. In the first few decades post atomic bomb, American atomic agencies conducted radioactive testing on non-consenting individuals (they would do things like feed people radioactive oatmeal and the subjects never even knew they were part of an experiment).

To be honest however, valuable knowledge (AKA sound/valid science) has stemmed from some of these f*cked experiments, it was just completely unethical and not worth compromising ones values to pursue these in the first place.
Tin Solider3
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senorbueno wrote:
Tin Solider3 wrote:

Oof, You can't say that and say that the only thing religion has brought is war. There are good and bad aspects of both to be honest. Goodness and being religious are not mutually exclusive, but they are also not mutually inclusive either.

The pursuit of science has done some pretty f*cked up things historically to be honest. Racial hygienists in Nazi Germany consisted of scientists experimenting on humans. In the first few decades post atomic bomb, American atomic agencies conducted radioactive testing on non-consenting individuals (they would do things like feed people radioactive oatmeal and the subjects never even knew they were part of an experiment).

To be honest however, valuable knowledge (AKA sound/valid science) has stemmed from some of these f*cked experiments, it was just completely unethical and not worth compromising ones values to pursue these in the first place.

These examples aren't from science, they're from humans. These examples are examples of bad human nature, not bad science. The act of experimenting upon another human is from another human, not science. Science and the use of science are two different things. The use of science is different, because it's dependent upon human characteristics. Science is truth and knowledge, it is derived from Latin translated into knowledge.
Gnarly Dancer 42
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a pretty interesting subject....i guess the whole reason i started this was that it really bothers me why everyone can't agree on one thing.

i feel like if there is a god, everyone should know it and it wouldn't be something to argue over, but if there isn't it should be the same way

senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: SLC

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Bible was assembled 300+ years after Christs life, but not written. in fact it is the exact opposite of the game telephone. telephone is a word of mouth game, the Bible was written down, so its story stayed true to its words. yes, translation of the Bible from language to language has brought in errors and changes, but not because it is word of mouth at all.
also, Tin Soldier3, be careful with your arguments to not be one sided. you say that all religion does is cause wars but science has brought great things. then when that argument was countered and said that science has brought negative results you say that it was not science, but humans, what they did with science. well who fought those wars over religion? religion itself? no, exactly how you said it, it was people that fought them. not religion. for religion yes, but it was the people themselves who did it. just as with science, the atom bomb was created. nuclear warfare is possible.
i am not against science however. in fact i am a biology major at the University of Utah. it surprises me everyday just how amazing science is. also, it surprises me how little we actually know, how much there is to discover. try taking a cell biology class, we know actually very little about how certain things work. and honestly everyday i learn more, it only strengthens my belief in God. how could any of this work without an all knowing Being that helped design and it into order. its amazing.
science and religion actually quite easily co-exist. you would be surprised to find how many scientists actually believe in a greater Being. why? well there are tons of things that when they figure it out, they realize it just cant all be chance. Einstein believed in God. and lets face it, he knew much more science than i ever will.
senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Solider3 wrote:
These examples aren't from science, they're from humans. These examples are examples of bad human nature, not bad science. The act of experimenting upon another human is from another human, not science. Science and the use of science are two different things. The use of science is different, because it's dependent upon human characteristics. Science is truth and knowledge, it is derived from Latin translated into knowledge.

I do not follow what you are trying to say here. But I assure you, there is such a thing as "bad" science. I'm referring to science in the sense of collecting data to reach a conclusion. Conclusions were reached, albeit unethically, but they were able to confirm "truths" from their research.

I agree with senza, being religious doesn't automatically mean you don't believe in science.

Gnarly, unfortunately there is no definitive proof of the existence of God, as I said earlier, it takes faith to believe in a higher power. People believe that the world is so intricate, that it doesn't make sense that there is not a supreme creator. Some people will never accept that, so you will never get people to agree on the existence of God. There are people who believe that there is no god due to all of the evil in the world, how could a personal God allow everything to happen?

Also, for a lot of people, their religious beliefs stem directly on their upbringing. What part of the world were they raised, what were their friends/families influence on their belief system? There are thousands of religions out there...
Tin Solider3
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senza wake wrote:
the Bible was assembled 300+ years after Christs life, but not written. in fact it is the exact opposite of the game telephone. telephone is a word of mouth game, the Bible was written down, so its story stayed true to its words. yes, translation of the Bible from language to language has brought in errors and changes, but not because it is word of mouth at all.
also, Tin Soldier3, be careful with your arguments to not be one sided. you say that all religion does is cause wars but science has brought great things. then when that argument was countered and said that science has brought negative results you say that it was not science, but humans, what they did with science. well who fought those wars over religion? religion itself? no, exactly how you said it, it was people that fought them. not religion. for religion yes, but it was the people themselves who did it. just as with science, the atom bomb was created. nuclear warfare is possible.
i am not against science however. in fact i am a biology major at the University of Utah. it surprises me everyday just how amazing science is. also, it surprises me how little we actually know, how much there is to discover. try taking a cell biology class, we know actually very little about how certain things work. and honestly everyday i learn more, it only strengthens my belief in God. how could any of this work without an all knowing Being that helped design and it into order. its amazing.
science and religion actually quite easily co-exist. you would be surprised to find how many scientists actually believe in a greater Being. why? well there are tons of things that when they figure it out, they realize it just cant all be chance. Einstein believed in God. and lets face it, he knew much more science than i ever will.

This is just too much for me to type, but here is a video.

1:30 Laser Pointer Stand off
16:36 Prayer and Cancer.....
19:50 Swami Levitation.....
24:11 MARS Virus.....
27:00 Fear Of Numbers.....
29:08 Naming Rights.....
38:15 Jury Duty 1.....
41:01 Jury Duty 2 (Cocaine).....
52:34 Islam's Fall.....
57:10 Religion and Science
1:02:50 Intelligent Design
1:03:30 Stupid Design (classic)
1:05:10 Birth of Atheism
1:07:30 Religion among scientist
1:12:26 Bible in the Classroom
1:15:49 Einstein and God put to rest!
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: SLC

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only had a minute to watch the Einstein part. i guess im wrong on what had been shared with me... by a university professor of science. i say that just so you know that i thought it was a credible source, obviously not. but that really doesnt matter. the fact remains that there are tons of scientists that as they discover scientific facts it only affirms their religious convictions. they are not mutually exclusive.
did you mean to quote my entire last post? it seems that in doing so you are trying to disprove all that i said by showing that Einstein may have in fact not been religious. that was one little sentence at the end of my post. you must still realize that both science and religion can have good and bad outcomes. its all up to the people who follow them.
science is merely the study of Gods creation.
you mention that the word science comes from the Latin root of knowledge. this is true. what is a fact in science? a hypothesis that returns a similar result upon repeated testing. this fact remains until one day when it may be proven incorrect.
so for me to say that it is a religious fact that God exists, why can you not agree that it is true until proven otherwise? because there literally is nothing out there that can prove that God does not exist. so if science is so correct, follow the scientific format of believing in something until otherwise proven. that at least makes sense to me.
Gnarly Dancer 42
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: May 31, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was a pretty interesting debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7WBEJJlYWU

TTUFAN24
Something Clever

City: HOUSTON

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and there's this

god multiple choice.jpg

Description:
multiple choice
 Filesize:  108.9 KB
 Viewed:  13554 Time(s)

PIRATE
Kickflip
Kickflip

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E: he does exist and holds us completely accountable for creating the world of our choosing.

What a threesome this would be!.
Mr. Top Hat
Dead

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are good atheists and bad atheists, just as there are good christians and bad christians. anyone who tries to convert other people to either side is not representing the positive side of their beliefs.

that being said, mormons weird me out beyond belief
Randomhero14
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is coincidence but I stumbled across this thread and as a former chrisitian, I can relate to both sides of the spectrum. But all I'm really hear to do is inform you of the ridiculous actions of a baptist church in austin that occured this week at my friends little brother's funeral. It is a long story, I'm not going to explain it all but here is the jist.

My friends half brother (my friends dad and another womans child) whom was twelve took his own life. He suffered from being bullied and having a beach for a mom. His father (my friends dad) is an extremely stand up guys. The parents are divorced and unfortunately he lived with his crazy mother. ANYWAYS, this young boys funeral was at a baptist church this weekend and the mother decided she didn't want my friend or the boys father at the funeral (yes I know, ridiculous) so she called the police. The police come and force my friend and the father to leave (they both leave without a fight, shows how professional and stand up these guys are). Through this whole process the pastor is a complete jerk to a grieving father and brother. Since the mother attends his church he is a pastor at, he for some reason felt he had some ground to tell a father and a brother that lost a loved one that they weren't allowed to be at the service for their lost loved one. Yes I know the mother is the main reason for all this bulljive but this pastor was a jerk to both the father and my friend during the hardest time they've ever experience in their life. It makes me sick.

Now I do think that their are churches that do a lot for the community and I'm not one to steer people from their beliefs because I think that for some people, their faith is what they need to feel like they have "purpose" or reason in their life. But holy chickity china the chinese chicken, things like that make me absolutely sick to my stomach. That men like that are telling people how to live their lives.

I'm not good at telling stories FYI so I hope that all made sense.
Just thought I'd share
Zero.
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Kissimmee

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ all kinds of people do stupid shizzle all the time. now go find one of an atheist.

electricsnow wrote:
It's not companies trying to live the dream, so much as it's the people behind them who are trying to help good riders actually make a living off of wakeskating.
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been considering jumping in on this thread for a while now... Still not sure.

`

Something Clever

City: HOUSTON

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick, it's the internet. get in where you fit in.

side note: i am not a public figure on this website so i can be an buttonhole

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Non-Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: