FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

2011 Catalyst Model G vs. 2012 Byerly Revival?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bondmaxbondrock
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: May 31, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: 2011 Catalyst Model G vs. 2012 Byerly Revival? Reply with quote

So I recently decided to start wakeskating after wakeboarding, snowboarding, and longboarding for a while, and you guys recommended I check out the Byerly Revival. So I found a 2012 on ambushboardco.com for $200 (I could either get this or the 2011 for $180 on evo). But browsing evo's outlet I also found the 2011 Model G (the brian grubb pro model) for $200. Which do you guys recommend? Thanks!
senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 31, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to keep it under $200, I would look at these. The people who run boardstop operate this website, so by supporting them you're helping keep wakeskating.com up and running.

http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_42&products_id=6300#.UalRSSusZV8

http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_42&products_id=5653

They also offer a 10% discount for first time buyers who are members of the forum, the code is "forumuser", enter it at checkout.

If you're stuck on something that you already posted, I'd go with the Byerly.
bondmaxbondrock
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: May 31, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll definitely check those out. But any reason for the Byerly over the Catalyst?
ollie
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: May 31, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are great w2w coming from wakeboarding. Revival would be better overall. (just a layman's thoughts.) Good luck dude.
senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be personal preference, I liked Byerly's shapes in the past (except for the really thick ones)... At this point in your wakeskating career, it's really not going to matter. If you're heart is set on riding Grubb's pro model, get it, but you won't find too many people on here recommending that board.

There's an old saying around these parts, it's the Indian, not the arrow. The more you ride, the better you get, and the more you realize what YOU want in a deck, and that's not something some random person on the internet can give you.

There's something to be said about the feel of riding a wood concave though... which is why I recommended those Obscura decks. They are a great shape, and a good value. There's a reason that everyone on Byerly's team rides wood boards these days, and even Grubb rides a wood board often.
bondmaxbondrock
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks! Yeah I realize no board is gonna make me any better, I just want to make sure I'm spending my money on the better board. Right now I'm leaning towards the Byerly, because it's composite (people have told me this will give it more of a wakeboard feel) and because I would sort of feel like a tool for riding a pro-model that people don't even recommend. Should I check out the byerly heritage? It's wooden and in the video says it rides more like a skateboard. It's selling for cheaper than the revival actually, I just sort of feel like I'd like a composite more because it's lighter and apparently has that wakeboard feel. Thanks!
senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're over thinking this man but yes I'd go for the wooden byerly over the composite one. If you want to feel like you're on a wakeboard, I'd recommend wake boarding. It may feel foreign at first, but to paraphrase a conversation Thomas horrel once had with a young beni horan, "we're here to wakeskate".

If you talk to a wakeskater, telling them a board has a wakeboard feel is generally a negative and not a positive. Wakeskates are generally looser than wake boarding. Being locked in and riding on rails doesn't really help with skate style tricks.

Benefits of composite skates are durability. But I'd recommend buying something that gets you out on the water, no ones going to call you a tool for buying a pro model, at the end of the day that helps the sport too. I just would rather see people buy from places like boardstop or the liquid playground over giant websites that really don't care about wakeskating
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks senorbueno. And i also agree with everything you've said. Saying a certain wakeskate will feel like a wakeboard is non sensical when it comes to what we do (it sounds more like an uninformed selling point). We aren't wakeboarding!

bondmaxbondrock, what are your goals with wakeskating, or what is attracting you to it? What kind of riding do you plan on doing?

bondmaxbondrock
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I posted on reddit.com/wake about how to get more air wakeboarding behind a sea-doo, and they all told me to buy a wakeskate, cause I can have more fun behind a ski on it. I had always wanted to try it, but I just thought it would be harder cause there's no bindings (I have been snowboarding my entire life, so that's why I chose wakeboarding before wakeskating). But recently I have been longboarding a TON, so wakeskating sounds like something I should try, and looks really fun. I watched some videos, and now I'm really pumped to start. Does anyone else agree, wakeskating behind a ski is better than wakeboarding behind a ski?

Anyway, I don't have any cable parks in my area, so I don't plan on riding rails or anything (unless I move somewhere with a cable park, then I'll try; but I can just buy a different board if that's making a difference in what board I should get). I ride on lake erie, so it can get quite choppy, so I usually ride in bays near my marina (however, it can still get pretty choppy in there too). I definitely want to learn how to ollie, and jump the (small) wake of my ski. I can't really see myself doing difficult flip tricks, but I'll try them for sure (shuvits seem in my range, since I can do it on my longboard).

Basically, I plan on riding for fun behind my sea-doo, and seeing what I can do. I don't see myself riding park or winch spots in the near future.

Also, I hear that the wooden board will be heavier and handle chop better. How true is this? Cause that will definitely affect my decision. Also, how long is the life span on wooden decks compared to composite? I don't want to have to buy a new one soon, I'd like it to last atleast two or three seasons.
bondmaxbondrock
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also, the 2012 byerly heritage I'm looking at is only available in 40 (exactly what you guys recommend for me)
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what i wanted to know. If you don't want to buy a board frequently, you might want to go with the foam core board. Wood is great, but they generally don't last as long as those foam core decks.

I haven't held a foam deck in awhile, but all decks have gotten heavier because people are generally preferring more weight for control.

I think wakeskating behind a pwc is more practical than wakeboarding, but choppy conditions will make it challenging because you're not connected. But there is a lot of potential for learning new moves, because you have the flats and you have that little lip that you can either launch off of or you can learn lip tricks. You should search on youtube and check out the remote team's trick tips with their seadoo, and danny hampson has some videos and trick tips with yamaha.

bondmaxbondrock
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you suggest I get the revival instead of the heritage? I mean if wood is really better, I'm willing to buy a new board every two years or so. I just don't want to have to buy a new one every season, you know?

So basically, how much better is wood than composite? I'm debating between the Revival and the Heritage right now. Thanks!
senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again you're over thinking it... just make a decision and live with it. at the end of the day you are going to have a new wakeskate Smile. If you want a random internet stranger to make justify a purchase, then get the composite board... It will ride fine and will for sure last two seasons. In a couple of years if you start getting more into it buy a new board then, and if it doesn't last you can always go back to your composite.
bondmaxbondrock
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, just the only thing is the heritage is cheaper so now I'm torn haha. Can you explain why wood is so much better? And how long do you think the heritage would last for someone who rides maybe 10-15 weekends a year? Again thanks for all the help!
bondmaxbondrock
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the Heritage, where I'm looking to buy it, will come with free 3-day shipping. Basically, how worse is the lifespan on the heritage, for someone who isn't going to be riding rails, and won't be riding too much?
Mr. Top Hat
Dead

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy shizzle, make a post in the classifieds saying that you are looking for a board for less than $100. chances are, any board that anyone offers is better than the two you are looking at. i say support a wakeskater and get a better board
bondmaxbondrock
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll go do that. But I thought these two boards were good...? Someone else recommended them
burn
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: armpit of tx

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

save up and get a better board. it will last longer, also imo it helps land tricks.
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: SLC

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.marine-products.com/closeouts/wakeskates.html
these are some skates left at my local shop on sale from last year. i dont know where you are located or what shipping would cost but you can check in the checkout. im sure everyone here would recommend the 40'' Remote Lecomte. I would too, but as you can see its 286.99 so there is also the liquid force Mod 40'' for 169.99. Or even the 42'' liquid force impulse for 139.99. In order of durability i would say the Mod will last longest because it is a compression molded deck, followed closely by the Remote, and last for sure will be the impulse. its certainly the cheapest but will hold up much less. maybe only a season or two depending how you ride it. but i would say better or at least the same as the byerly heritage you've been looking at. the Mod is similair to the revival you've been looking at but i would say that the shape of the Mod is much better.... so I say spend the money on the Remote, but if you are really really trying to save, go for the Mod.
burn
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: armpit of tx

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the onl,y remote they have are the transport and redical series. i bought the last lecomte.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Add To Favorites

Jump to: