FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Which Ski?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Which Ski? Reply with quote

I've finally decided I want a jet ski and now can finally afford one. I've been looking at 2011 Wake edition Sea Doo's as they seem pretty badass but that's at the upper-end of my price range and I'm always up for saving money. Any suggestions? I'm pretty new to the jet-ski world but I assume Honda and Sea Doo are probably what I should stick to?

It'll mostly see salt-water but will be hosed-down and thoroughly cleaned after use. Obviously needs to be a good pull, preferably even with two people riding while someone is being towed but that's not a huge 'must have'.
daniel
Back Big

City: Duncan

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I leave?

Confused
knox
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Gainesville

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GnarShredd, I have an 09 (the last year they made them) Honda AquaTrax F-15 and I love it. Awesome wake, a big ski (easily enough for 2 on the ski and 1 riding), and really easy to drive. We bought ours new in 2011, but as I said the last year Honda made them was 09. Dealerships still have them, and because they're a few years old they're a little cheaper. I've never had to take it in and I put over 100 hours on it the first two months I had it.

That being said, the new Sea-Doos are sick too. Sea-Doo does support a lot of wakeskaters, which I think is pretty rad for a company like that to go out and do.
GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel, Just got a promotion at work. Now I can afford a new toy, haha. Move back!

The Kid, I'm just debating if the new Sea Doo's are worth the extra price. I think they're sick. Look great, awesome features. I'll take a look at the F-15's too.
jdarr
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Bradenton

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDoo GTX! It doesnt have to be the wake edition. I have an 06 and it still runs like new. Big and durable. Ive put that thing through hell as we all have. Never been behind a Honda but stay away from Yamaha (bad experiences)
overstreet31
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Lumberton

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdarr wrote:
... but stay away from Yamaha (bad experiences)

and polaris as far my experiences go. I would say stick with a naturally aspirated 4 stroke (no turbos or superchargers)

LATX
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Austin

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A used (with low hrs) Sea Doo wake would be perfect. I have an 08 Supercharged 215 and it's the tits. Of course, you don't have to go that route, a 155 wake is fine too.

insta: chriscollinge_
lakeskater
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Tampa

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seadoo Wake is more expensive than the regular GTX or GTI because of the ski pylon and board rack. I have a pylon on mine but don't use it because it causes too much pull from side to side when a rider carves out on the flats and makes it difficult to drive straight at a steady speed. The rack is nice option but not necessary because there is plenty of room for an extra board in the foot wells. And as I've mentioned before, the super chargers need expensive and frequent maintenence so you could save alot of money by going with a used GTX 155 or even a GTI 130.

You mentioned that you were new to the jetski world and that you ride in salt water so I have a valuable tip for you. When flushing out the ski afterwards, make sure the engine is running. Start the engine first, then turn on the water, and turn the water off before turning the engine off. If you flush without the engine running you will get water in the engine.
daniel
Back Big

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GnarShredd, that's good man, congrats! I'll be visiting before too long, we'll have to make a cable trip for old times as well.
11RANDOMNESS
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Winter Haven

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first saw this title I thought it said "Winch Ski" So I thought that someone tried to mount a winch on there jet ski...

-Kyle
dscsk8er55
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about something like this?

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/3279526604.html

I love mine to death and they can fit people comfortably compared to a ski. Same reliability as the ski's, close to same length but has SUPER FUN i/o wake and is comfortable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
likwidfolife
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: DFW

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 07 Yamaha VX110 i ride behind, its pretty dependable. Havent had any issues with it since I got it.

I would definitely go with a Seadoo tho, I have a buddy that has a seadoo speedster jet boat with the 155 motor in it and he is almost at 1000hrs. He hasn't had any major issues with the motor at all. The Austin crew has a wake edition edition with over 1000hrs on it and that thing is still running good. Those motors seems pretty bullet proof from what i have seen.

But like everyone else said I would go with a non-supercharged one so you don't ever have to worry about doing a rebuild on it every so often.
GOLD!en
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Edwards

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend's parents' seadoo boat caught on fire...
GZA
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stick with a N/A ski to start with. Any of the big 3, Kawasaki, Seadoo or Yamaha produce great N/A motor's that will last forever. They are all around 150-160hp which is plenty for skating.

I personally own a Kawsaki STX15F. It has over 200 hrs of getting raped, being thrown round in the surf, full throttle runs up rivers etc and all I ever do is the basic maintenance.
Not as much skating behind it as I would have liked. It throws a good shaped wake, will seat three, is stable, and Kawasaki have been making this particular model pratically the same since '04.

Remember, more hp = more maintenance & more gas $ as well Smile
likwidfolife
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: DFW

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A = "Naturally Aspirated" as in "non-turbo/supercharged"
GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

likwidfolife, Thanks, got it. While I wouldn't say I'm hugely mechanically inclined, I've got the basics of how stuff works/what is.

GZA, Good to hear the Kawasaki has treated you well. Might add that to the list.

Right now I'm thinking something from like '09-'10. Seems to be good prices out there for some stuff with low hours.
VIRTUE
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: west palm beach

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything that will pull you, but these days your better off buying a 4stroke cause there are so many available and a 2stroke eats up oil.. My other suggestion is just get a winch and search out your local spots
<MikeG>
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: PBG

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got an 09 Yamaha fx high output that is a beast. Never have had a problem with it in any aspect. Always reliable and always starts right up. Tows like a dream. A few people on this site have ridden behind it and can back it up. If you could find a used one id recommend it for sure. I use mine only in salt water too. Just make sure to wash it every time and flush it every time and you will never have a problem. My buddy has a 2011 Yamaha ski and its awesome too. So i wouldn't stick with only seadoo and id look at some Yamaha skis too.
daniel
Back Big

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIRTUE, he has a tank of a winch!
geissap
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 2008 yamaha fx sho and we love it. Don't underestimate the value of cruise assist or cruise control. I don't think I could live without cruise assist...it makes it so much easier to keep the pull consistent and cuts down on the hand muscle fatigue from holding the throttle. Highly recommend a ski with the feature if you can get one.

Also yamaha's don't take premium fuel. I think all the sea doos still take premium no? Saves some cost on sets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: