FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

hiphop and homophobia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Non-Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masi
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Deerfield Beach

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: hiphop and homophobia Reply with quote

I found this article very interesting! Brother Ali made some great points towards not only hip hop, but my generation's lack of cultural and sexual respect towards words and signs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brother-ali/hip-hop-homophobia-_b_1864676.html?utm_hp_ref=arts&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000008

jcoffey
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother Ali is the man. I love that he is albino and when people ask his race he has no answer and asks them if it matters if he is black or white.

http://jordancoffey.net
GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have huge respect for this man. Anyone who can fully admit and own up to a mistake like he was just shows maturity and education.

The article also made me think a lot about the power of words. I believe in free speech, and that if you really want to make a word go away, just to ignore it as a group and not let it have impact. It'll go away in time. But I also now get more of the other side of the coin. How that's not something people may readily be able to do. Good article.
RUSSIAN
Integrity Sheep

City: Where's my beer

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this, I'm a big fan of Ali.
PIRATE
Kickflip
Kickflip

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

such i worthy read i logged on to say: very good article.

What a threesome this would be!.
RUSSIAN
Integrity Sheep

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

direct link if the embed doesn't work - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAu1WVtD1Xc

scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GnarShredd wrote:
The article also made me think a lot about the power of words. I believe in free speech, and that if you really want to make a word go away, just to ignore it as a group and not let it have impact. It'll go away in time.
I agree- best thing to do is the 'right thing' and keep your fingers crossed that some young sh*theads like Odd Future don't pop up and use it for shock factor. Confused

Also, that Brother Ali video is nuts. I remember seeing him open for Atmosphere many years ago in Santa Cruz, and I was like Shocked the entire time. I had never heard of him before, and he just came out and KILLED it.

RUSSIAN
Integrity Sheep

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, who the fauk edited my post?
masi
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a wrote:
GnarShredd wrote:
The article also made me think a lot about the power of words. I believe in free speech, and that if you really want to make a word go away, just to ignore it as a group and not let it have impact. It'll go away in time.
I agree- best thing to do is the 'right thing' and keep your fingers crossed that some young sh*theads like Odd Future don't pop up and use it for shock factor. Confused

I don't know if that is truly the best method of not letting it have an impact. It is easy to say that a word does not have an impact if you have the ability to use the word in an offensive sense. Most people that are effected by words like the F* word and the N* word usually do not have majority representation within on our country so their voice is not as prevalent a "star citizen" of this country, however you want your proctor gamble advertisement and National conventional image of "star citizen" to be represented. We should respect that words have power at face value and not try to suggest any defamatory references to any race ethnicity or sexuality of any human, period. Things like the "slut" walk and the trevon martin hoodie rallies are examples of public embracement of images that our society tries to shun away from in main steam culture. The fact that teenagers have such a lack of respect for a belief that some died for in our recent history is appalling but consistent with how our generation is perceived. Thankfully some people have some dignity

scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew MassIVE wrote:
I don't know if that is truly the best method of not letting it have an impact. It is easy to say that a word does not have an impact if you have the ability to use the word in an offensive sense. Most people that are effected by words like the F* word and the N* word usually do not have majority representation within on our country so their voice is not as prevalent a "star citizen" of this country, however you want your proctor gamble advertisement and National conventional image of "star citizen" to be represented. We should respect that words have power at face value and not try to suggest any defamatory references to any race ethnicity or sexuality of any human, period. Things like the "slut" walk and the trevon martin hoodie rallies are examples of public embracement of images that our society tries to shun away from in main steam culture. The fact that teenagers have such a lack of respect for a belief that some died for in our recent history is appalling but consistent with how our generation is perceived. Thankfully some people have some dignity
I think you're mixing up the parts of communication here. I was talking about how I act, because that's the part that I can control. When I talk to others I send a these words out and everyone that's listening is left to interpret them as they wish. I have absolutely no way of controlling how someone will interpret what I say, so it's basically up to me to avoid hot-button words and use non-verbal cues to get my point across. Basically, I absolutely take responsibility for knowing/avoiding words that might be interpreted as offensive like "welfare queen" and pretty much everything that Tyler the Creator talks about in his songs. I think if everyone acted this way (most people that respect themselves and others already do), then slowly, over the course of a generation we might see ourselves more tolerant, understanding, etc, and we might be in a better place than we are now.

As far as the rest of your post, well, I can't control what P&G or any other 'stars' do, but if I find that I don't support their products, or mission statement, or political/religious views, or they otherwise act in a way that doesn't contribute positively to society, then I just don't buy their products or visit their websites. As a consumer/citizen/random dude, that's the power that I have to exercise.

And if I just totally missed the point, then...my bad.

masi
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a, You did not miss the point! open forum is the best! I guess I interpreted saying those words at a societal level, at a personal level i agree completely.

My P&G rant was just saying that whether we want to think we are 'smart' consumers of any manufactured products, we cannot escape that these large companies provide products that are ingrained in our culture. From my Mac computer and phone stuff to my Canon to my bed frame to my television, these products define how we live our lives culturally and it is impossible to escape all of our negative aspects of our culture and still claim any sort of cohesion within this society. I have never, nor will i probably ever, had a miller 64 in my life! however i find myself chanting in my head at some point throughout the day "to miller 64" and want to punch myself for allowing those damn commercials to permeate into my cultural intake. It just happens though because by the time we have the ability to understand the decisions that we are making on society, we have been too deeply brain washed within our own culture for better or for worse.

nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty embarrassed at some of the things I said in my teenage years, with my almost total lack of understanding of human sexuality. As smart as I was, I still said some things that I sorely regret with an attitude that makes me facepalm knowing that I said them... I guess you live & you learn.

`

Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Battle Creek

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW
IF HE COULD HEAR ME CLAPPING ID BE STANDING UP WHILE DOING IT !

www.integrity-wake.com
www.cdifins.com
PIRATE
Kickflip
Kickflip

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itch wrote:
WOW
IF HE COULD HEAR ME CLAPPING ID BE STANDING UP WHILE DOING IT !

And out of nowhere itch appears!!!!!!!!!

What a threesome this would be!.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Non-Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: