FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

New Socal Cable Park: Desert Wake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardertj
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: New Socal Cable Park: Desert Wake Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to share my experience at the newest cable to hit Southern California.

Desert wake has been open since July. As of now, their setup consists of a cable lake with 2 Rixen cables running side by side and a boat lake to rent out hourly. They have plans to expand including a full cable and a winch park.

It was a little difficult to find as there are no signs anywhere marking the turnoff.

I bought a 2 hour pass and rented a helmet. There is a $10 yearly membership fee on top of the $30 two hour pass. $5 for the helmet. Ended up paying $48 for everything with tax.

After paying and signing the release forms I hopped on a golf cart and one of the crew members drove me out to the cable lake. I put my name on the board for the cable and chilled on the patio while I waited. Now it was a pretty crowded day and there were about 8 people in front of me on the board so I had to wait a bit longer than expected.

After about 45 minutes It was my turn. I strap up (wakeboard, no skating for me that day) grab the handle and go. I cruised a bit to get my rythem going and sprayed the funbox a bit. The box is a wide flat table, almost like a manual pad but a bit higher, with a flat bar on the side. I hit the flat section a few times, 50 50, front board, back board, 50 50 180 out. (This is the 2nd time ever hitting a rail so don't flame me for sucking Razz)
I tried to cut hard and throw a backroll out in the flats but came up well short. On my final set I tried the flatbar portion of the funbox and got rocked. I didn't hop quite high enough, boucned off the top and slammed onto the lower box section shoulder first. It hurt like a beach for the first 2 days but its getting better. I got up finished my set and called it a day. I didn't get a chance to hit the corrugated incline pipe, maybe next time.

Overall the place is really cool. On the other cable they have a spine kicker and a 80ft A-frame. Randal Harris, Melissa Marquardt and a few other West Side riders were ripping it that day. I was told by the crew that those guys are out there at least once a week.

The staff was super friendly and very helpful to all riders, giving pointers to beginners, giving me advice on hitting the flatbar, even though I still ate $#!+ and helping advanced riders perfect their technique. They all did a great job at operating the cable and doing their best to get people on and off the water quickly.

The only gripe I had with the place was the wait time. On a less crowded day I am sure it wouldn't be a problem. but it was at least a 30-40 minute wait between pulls. As this place gets more popular this could be a problem. No one was enforcing the 2 hour time limit and were more focused on making sure everyone was having fun and getting in some quality riding.

Check it out if you get a chance. It's out in the middle of nowhere (Indio/coachella) but it was well worth the drive in my opinion.

For pictures and more info check out the website
http://www.desertwakeinfo.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Cable Riding All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: