FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Winch Help not running strong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrzyTexan
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Winch Help not running strong Reply with quote

Alright so I have been looking around the site to help tweak my winch a bit faster but still not positive on what to do. The pillow block bearings seem to be a bit rusted and maybe have a bit of sand in them and I was thinking by changing that would help speed it up, I have kept everything well lubricated. But it's still not running as fast as I would like it. It's got a brand new 6.5hp briggs and a TAV2 on it and couldn't get my 200lb buddy to plane out. It can pick me up and my buddy up fine (165) but top speed is not were we want it to be. Any suggestions would really help. If yall want pics to look at the pillow blocks or what not just let me know. Thanks
Sagittorious
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Montgomery

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have to change your ratio, I'm building my winch with a 6:1 ratio. Widening your inner spool diameter may help some. Also most pillow blocks have grease nipples might be a good idea to pump some grease into them. Good luck.
CrzyTexan
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they are all greased up. By changing ratio you just do that by changing spool size?? It's the original grinch frame and spool just with new chain, sprocket, and engline
Sagittorious
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Montgomery

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the sprocket size, I have a TAV with 12 teeth so I have a 72 tooth sprocket that puts me at 6:1. Just make sure if you do change the sprocket its for the same size chain.
price.dan
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Regina

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrzyTexan, I was kinda talking about this in another thread... 200lbs people can't really use a 6.5 hp engines, or at least in all the experiences I've had. I honestly believe their a myth. Once you get to that kinda weight you really need a bigger engine to pop him outta that water. Like Sagittorious said changing the inside diameter of your spool will help pull the rope in faster resulting in a bit more speed. The other trick you can try is having a longer start dock/platform to pull off of, allowing your winch an opportunity to get to a higher speed quicker. This is the reason why I went with a bigger engine. supermanotorious was speaking of some after market modifications he puts on his 6.5 hp engines to beef those suckers up. I'm sure it won't be long until he posts in here, hopefully he can help you out with some of that tho.
supermanotorious
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

price.dan knows me all too well, yes check out affordable go karts for hop up kits, they have a whole page dedicated to simple cheap or free engine mods, 6.5hp is enough for a 200lb rider for sliding (not deep water) starts, try that first and see if you have any luck
GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supermanotorious wrote:
6.5hp is enough for a 200lb rider for sliding (not deep water) starts, try that first and see if you have any luck

200+lb rider here (my heaviest winching was probably about 215). This is totally correct. Running starts should work too (put the board down and take a few steps and jump on it in the water to get things up to speed).

As for increasing the speed, try a couple of the other things listed above and see what works. It took an entire 2 solid days of me switching out parts to find the combo that worked for me.
CrzyTexan
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thanks for the help guys, I'll see what we can do!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: