FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

How to prevent knee injuries?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojo
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: mob town

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to a physical therapist and explain to them what you do and that you need to protect your body. they will probably have you do alot of hip, calve, and leg press, along with good stretching. the more in shape you are and the more flexible you are will help from injuring muscles, etc.
scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking back on your original post, I'm not sure why you seem to be so worried about this. You say you've never had any injuries, yet this thread reads as if you're coming back from your second knee reconstruction.

If you're super worried about it then I'd consult a doctor (as esnow said) and go from there. I wouldn't listen to what the knee brace company says because they'll always try and find as many uses for their product as possible.

martijn
Ollie
Ollie

City: AMSTERDAM

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i broke my knee tendon/string (sorry i'm dutch but not a doctor) 7 years ago

worked out a lot and skated with a cti with a cti brace

injured my knee years ago with something really stupid while makeing a phone call, could walk anymore and decided to had my tendon reconstruction

revalidation for 9 months, now i skate with a brace but i know working out and stretching is more important

i use a indo board balance trainer and i rowing machine + stretching, it is going fine

quote:

a knee brace is uncool bllsht you need it or you dont

i probaly dont need it but it gives me confidence

gporter
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Winter Park

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do is, when I feel the splits coming, or a bad fall, I sacrifice other parts of my body, such as my face, arms, back, etc.... because I know that in the long run, the legs are the ones I really don't want to get hurt.
_k3anu r33v3s_
Ollie
Ollie

City: k-town\ Lc

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m having experimental surgery to get robot legs instead of human ones… its really expensive but it will be totally worth it .................
samcollett
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Baton Rouge, LA

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pulling this thread back because i'm in a similar situation. i tore my MCL, strained my PCL, and bruised my comedial bone on a benihana. i get fitted for a brace tomorrow. doctor says if i get back on the water without one i'm putting my MCL at serious risk, and if i hurt it again surgery is pretty much promised. i don't have health insurance and am in no position to be able to afford surgery, so i'm taking the brace and going through physical therapy to get my leg back up to strength. have you guys had any experience with certain braces? i've heard to look into CTI's, but i'd like opinions from wakeskaters because we have a wider range of motion than wakeboarders.

i don't really give a shizzle if someone thinks it's cool or uncool or whatever. if it's gonna save my knee and my money, then i'm sold.

BB
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samcollett, Yes, wear a brace!!! After my surgery, physical therapy was not totally the answer to help my rehab. I found that I got a better work out on my own than what PT was doing. If you really have no idea what to do or how to get your leg back in shape after the injury than go to PT. But it is not cheap...If I were you I would go just a couple times and get the work out plan and as much info as you can from them so you can do it at home or at the gym.
Good luck Cool
funnyfeni
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: casselberry

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "my" opinion and coming from the health side. Stretching is the most important thing to do. Not just before you go in the water and ride. Every morning and every night before you go to sleep. The plus side when you go to sleep is that you train your muscles that it's time to rest and go to sleep and you sleep better. Evs does make a point but If I'm going to go ride a bike down the street I'm not going to stick my 3 year old niece's training wheels on to prevent from falling side to side. You take the risks when you signed on to this sport or basically any sport. Remember those warnings on the bottoms of the boards. Working out is another thing. Constant lifting weights is always good for the body. Check out crossfit.com, it's not for the faint of heart but it will wip you into shape.

Another thing. you know will your back foot falls off and is dragging while your trying to pull yourself up. Yeah most people talk about pulling your groin. Well I had a pt a couple of years ago where he snapped his femur in his front leg. Bail before carnage begins.
samcollett
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Baton Rouge, LA

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hah well preventing injury is out of the question for me. i already did it. i stretch before i ride every time, but i still got hurt, so now i'm trying to deal with that. my doctor initially set me up with a don joy rep, but i've heard really bad things about their braces in the water, so i'm looking at CTi and trying to get opinions on here.
uidzero
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Casselberry

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a janky don joy that I got for free from the doctor Laughing I need a real one before my knee explodes again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: