FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Canon 40D or Nikon D80

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Media and Technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Lake Norman

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Canon 40D or Nikon D80 Reply with quote

Im debating between a used canon 40d with 23-135lens for about $850 with original accessories and around 21k clicks,

or a nikon d80 with 18-135lens, One Sandisk Ultra II SDHC 8GB card, One Sandisk 4GB SDHC card, One PQ1 HI-SPEED 2GB card, hard case, original accessories, and a manfrotto monopod with 5766 clicks for $750...

I know that the 40d does 6.5 fps and the d80 does 4, but other than that, what do you guys think in comparison? Which one should I go with....
cheapskate
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Baytown

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a D80, I love it.

never shot with a canon, as far as the fps, it depends on the setting and lighting. I def. got atleast 4 fps with my D80

scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FPS won't vary on lighting or camera settings. Those things will only affect how many shots you can take in each sequence...and with these cameras I don't think it'll make much difference.

The Canon will have an advantage with sequence shots, but outside of that they're both great cameras, and since you're buying used you might wanna take into account the condition of the camera and all that. I'm guessing the lenses included in each will eventually need to be replaced with something of better quality as well.

How many clicks does that D80 have on it? It sounds like the better deal since it's got two sandisk cards and a case and a monopod...

LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the D80 has 5,766 clicks and the guy says he can prove it when I come take a look at it(its available locally). He bought it in December 2007.

The pics show that it is in mint condition with everything except the box.

The 40D however, has around 21k clicks according to the guy(dvxuser.com) and the pics show its in good condition as well.

I mean the D80 sounds like a great deal, but I didnt know if the slow 4fps is going to affect me that much, Im not a professional and I dont want sequence shots, I just want to be able to get that perfect action photo and "I thought" that if you have more FPS then you have more of a chance to get that perfect shot. However I'm sure settings and lighting and knowing your camera can also make that shot happen as well. But any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Ryan
TWG
Kickflip
Kickflip

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like a lot of money to shell out on used equipment. what happens when it takes a dump? sorry if i sound like debbie downer but damn if that shiz breaks your screwed. why not just save a lil more and buy new? get a warranty and get something that you KNOW is in good condition.
edrex
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: NorCal

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LKNboarder7982 wrote:
I just want to be able to get that perfect action photo and "I thought" that if you have more FPS then you have more of a chance to get that perfect shot.

I thought the same thing before I got my 40d. Figured shooting bursts was the way to get those good shots. The more I practiced and watched better photographers work, the more I realized that getting the perfect timing on the shot is more about knowing your equipment and hitting the shutter at the right time. I shoot more single shots now than bursts and get better quality action shots out of it.
I love my 40d, but of the 2 deals you have there it seems the Nikon is the better deal. Have you held both cameras before? One might feel better or more natural in your hands than the other so that could be a deciding factor also. To me, the Canon was a more comfortable fit, and having the high burst rate if I need it is an added plus.

kevincalvez
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: France

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Have a D90 and i LOVE IT!!!

Kinda expensive, but really worth it!!
price.dan
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Regina

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id go with the cannon d40, 7.5 fps you can't go wrong wit.
edrex
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

price.dan wrote:
id go with the canon 40d, 6.5 fps you can't go wrong wit.

fify

bmosing
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Lafayette,LA

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a d80 and i love it but possibly may be getting a d200 soon. and the camera wont get you the perfect shot. practice practice practice.4fps is more than enough if you arent interested in taking sequence shots. but good luck and let us know what you get!!
LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so the D80 was sold as someone got the the guy to take a look at the camera before I did. But the 40D that I was looking at for $850 is still available and I talked the guy down to $775 shipped. It also comes with a Best Buy 4-year Product Service Plan (Protects against anything, was additional $180 at time of purchase), 72mm UV filter, and 1gb CF card.

I would say that sounds pretty descent considering it has the 4 year service plan and its a year old. What do you guys think.... again it does have around 21k clicks, but they are rated at 100k and it has the service plan with it.
samgoskate
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Winter Haven

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D90, it has HD video.
scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the D90 is totally on of the options he listed Rolling Eyes Besides, the HD video kinda sucks on it.

I'd go for it. The 40D is a pretty solid camera (WAAAY better than my old 10D Laughing)

TWG
Kickflip
Kickflip

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

service plan helps a lot
edrex
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the service plan is transferrable?
LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah if you read the terms and conditions, it states that it is totally transferable if you have the original purchase receipt. So I am waiting for the guy to email me back with a photo of the transferable warranty with receipt. That way I know that I can have it transfered. Ill keep this updated to let everybody know how the transaction goes.

Also I want to add that the Canon 40D has a CMOS censor while the Nikon D80 has a RGB 3CCD censor... Does that mean that the 40D's censor is a little bit better? or is it all the same when it comes down to the pictures?
scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the sensors- meh. You wont notice a difference. You're looking at the two biggest names in the DSLR market so both have a great product, they just work a little differently to process how light hits the sensor.
LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i bit the dirt and got the 40D 28-135 kit($790 shipped with 3 years of warranty at Best Buy left) from the guy off of DVXuser. Im going to take the time to learn every aspect of it and how to use it to the best of my ability which may take a few years but it will be worth it. But when it came in the mail today I decided to drive down to this one spot where you can shoot all of downtown charlotte and snapped a few quick ones w/o a tripod or any knowledge as to how to capture it the best.

Please let me know any sites you guys may know that teach about the settings for different type of shots. Anything is greatly appreciated.

KEEF
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: orlando

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikon

nikon

nikon

nikon

nikon

nikon

nikon

is way better
wakeboarding
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for Canon but it has a high shutter counts already, I have heard or read that it can only go for about 50k counts, not sure though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Media and Technology All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: