FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Help DSLR Photographers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Media and Technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnargnar

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Help DSLR Photographers Reply with quote

So, I got a Nikon D40 for Christmas, but I want to step it up. I didn't even open it or the lens so I could take it back and get a higher priced camera.

Here is the deal though, Best Buy only gives me 9 days left to exchange it and I am very busy right now, so I need some advice. I don't have time to do all the research myself.

I have been shooting Canon since the late 90s and am very familiar with their interfaces and settings. I was thinking of taking the Nikon back and upgrading for the Canon 40D. It looks like a great camera and a big upgrade from the D40.

So, is the Canon 40D a good camera, or should I look at something else (in the same price range). Also, I shoot action, and scenery, but also like shooting macro so I will also need to purchase a lens kit with the camera.

Any and all suggestions, tech information, and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou photogs
DRAGON88
Dragoon

City: Portland

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you shoot Cannon and have EF lenses then I would definitely stick with Canon. Honestly I don't think there is a significant difference between Nikon and Canon, it's all about what control system you find to be more comfortable.

The 40D is a great body, definitely go and hold it, I'd also pick up a battery grip for it. I love my 20D even though it's a few years old now.

Just my two cents.

gnargnar

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dragon. Now, I am also including the Nikon D90 and the Canon 50D in my choices.
scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few friends that checked out the 40D and 50D recently, and they wound up with the less expensive 40D. Personally, I'd save a bit of money and get the 40D and put that money into some better lenses if you choose to go the Canon route. Using good quality lenses is important.

But 40D, 50D and Nikon D90 are all great cameras. Can't go wrong with any of them.

LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Lake Norman

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well for action i know the canon 40d shoots 6.5 fps according to canon, and i think the nikon d90 shoots 5fps?

Also I was at bestbuy the other day because I am looking to get a canon 40d or a nikon d80
(either one used off of craigslist b/c of price) and I think the only difference between the 40d and the 50d is that the 40d is 10mp and the 50d is 15mp, also i think the 50d only does 5fps compared to the d40 with 6.5;however, I may be wrong, I have not looked it up but I will.
scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10mp is plenty. Why non-professionals want/need anything more is beyond me.

50D has a whole new sensor with lower noise at high ISO, but the 40D is already pretty good in that regard anyways. I think they moved the Live View button on the 50D, but other than that I didn't see a whole lot of reason to spend the extra $$ on the 50D after holding both.

And be careful with that D40. It wont autofocus with some Nikon lenses for some reason (there is a reason, I just don't know what it is off the top of my head).

gnargnar

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the input guys. As of now, my plan is to trade the Nikon D40 in for the Canon 40D. It will probably be about 600$ upgrade, but I am going to make it worth it.

Hope everyone had a good New Years. 2009 is going to kick 2008s ass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Media and Technology All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: