FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Frames per Second

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Media and Technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr. Blonde
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Fishers, IN /Three Rivers, MI/Columbia,SC

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Frames per Second Reply with quote

When I upload my footage on to my computer my slow motion shots look all crappy........the images blur into each other and there always seems to be two images in a frame at a time...........how many frames per second does eveyone else's cameras shoot???
tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of camera do you have? Most Handheld DV cameras now shoot 29-30fps. I know the Panasonic we use has a cinema mode that shoots around 25fps. It's about as close as you're gonna get unless you have a camera that shoots a true 24p.
mr. Blonde
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a Panasonic GS-300..........i think...........and I believe it can shoot 30fps but why isn't that enough?........wouldn't more frames per second mean you have a better picture?
tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. Blond, yes. the more fps you shoot the better you slow motion looks. if you're working in 24p and shoot in 30fps.. the slowmotion looks good at about 80%.

the best cameras to use for this type of editing are cameras that have the 60i option.. if not you are going to have to mess around with frame blending. if you have AfterEffects i believe there's a nice little option in there you can play around with.
Gnarly Dancer 42
360 flip
360 flip

City: kalamazoo

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think your problem a frames per second issue,

is it playing back all messed up too? if it plays back on the camera ok, then you might just be having trouble capturing

http://www.kearnsmedia.com
mr. Blonde
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I think it might be the capturing because the image on my camera looks great.........what can I do?
tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you capturing with firewire or usb? also, buy a mac. haha.
KEEF
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: orlando

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL VIDEO CAMERAS SHOOT AT 60i!!! which is actually 29.97 frames a second. certain cameras have variable frame rates but you know if it will because you will be spending enough money to know what frame rate your cam will shoot at.

definitly use firewire connection because it looks the best. realisicly you should be able to slow your footage down to about 60-65 percent and it still flow pretty well.
mr. blond ur cam is a 60i cam and that is all it shoots so yeah try that. also make sure your not using any pos editing system like windows movie maker or pinacle. if you are ur wasting your time!!!!

KEEF
Poo

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know how to slow clips in 60i down to about 20-25% and still look relatively smooth.

http://www.popshuv.com/L13/podcast-7.mov <-- that's at 25% and it does look a lil bad, but at 30% its golden. Cool
scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to slow your footage down to 50% before it starts getting jerky. Your persistence of vision works down to about 15fps in most cases so you'll still see a smooth image. Anything lower and you start to notice individual frames...unless you've got some secrets up your sleeve as many experienced editors do...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Media and Technology All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: