FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

trouble with backside surface 180

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwksk8
Ollie
Ollie

City: New Port Richey

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: trouble with backside surface 180 Reply with quote

It seems like I just can't get my feet to do the right thing so i fall away from the boat or the board just goes into the water on one end so I just sink or lose balance and let go. I currently go about 18 mph to practice surface tricks. I can currently go switch back and forth(frontside surface 180's) without a problem. I can only bunny-hop about 3 inches though Smile.

I noticed that putting the board sideways so that I am facing forwards and sliding does not seem very stable(cant hold it there long) so maybe I should shorten the default fins on the scape 107. I am not sure what size they are but probably close to 1.8 inches.

Any tips on how to get this figured out would be appreciated. I spent a few hours today trying it without much luck.
Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing this on the wake are in the flats?
Iwksk8
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flats mainly. I tried directly behind the seadoo, but the water is too turbulent there.
Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to play around on the wake. Do lipslides and boardslides on the wake as if it were a rail. Once you feel comfortable, try some frontide boardslides. That may help you get the feel for a backside surface 180.

I would personally get my ollies down better and then work on ollie backside 180's rather than surface.
Iwksk8
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the tricks I do are surface tricks without ollies. I can't ollie enough and I am not comfortable enough with them to try a trick that includes ollies. Since that seems to be taking awhile I figured I would just work on all the surface tricks first. I have noticed that tricks on the wake(what little wake there is from a seadoo) does make surface tricks easier since the board releases much easier. I will try to do the backside stuff on the wake more if I can and spend more time on my ollies I guess. I wonder if it would help to remove the fins once just to get the hang of it easier since the board will release easier. When the board releases it is kind of a jolt. It probably doesn't help that I have the smallest scape board and I am 6'1 and 158 pounds so I assume the fins are more in the water than if I had a bigger wakeskate board(probably wrong though).
Iwksk8
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like what I want to do is a backside boardslide (180?) and not a backside surface 180. I think a backside surface 180 includes an ollie right?
Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the Scape 107, your board is probably a little small for your height and weight, but you should stille easily be able to do surface tricks on it.

Do as you suggested and try taking your fins off to get the feel of it. I think that will help you do what you are trying to do. Most people are finding that they prefer to ride finless anyway. You may like that better.

Surface trick generally means that you are doing the trick without an ollie.
Iwksk8
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info... Every bit helps Smile
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride finless
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Lake Havasu City

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iwksk8, best way to learn a BS surface 180 is as follows: cut outside the wake to the left of the boat if your right foot forward (right of the boat if your left foot forward)...reach behind you and grab the handle with your BACK hand...then simply let the boat pull you around backside. fins or no fins...doesnt matter...the pull of the boat spins you around so fast that you dont have time to think about what your doing and lose your ballance. i had problems with that as well till i accidentally figured out how to do the above. once you get good at that you can do the BS 180's anywhere.
dMaus
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Longwood

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just dont even think about the trick you are doing and it comes easily, clear your mind and find a happy place. and then just cut out heelside untill you have slack in the rope and throw it and it should be easier than directly behinde the boat or ski.

THE REGIMENT

ShredEx
Iwksk8
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the tips. Success! Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips/suggestions everyone. It just took dedicating an hour or so and learn how much to lean away from the boat during the transition and cut out so that I have slack in the rope.

With 2 hours on saturday and 2 hours on Sunday, I can now do multiple surface 360's in a row switch and normal(Im goofy). I did a wrapped surface 360 too. Funny part is that my wife decided to turn the seadoo right when I had the wrap setup for the 360... I had to hold that pose and get swung around about 30+ mph Shocked holding the wrap. I was not expecting that.

dmaus, having slack in the rope definately helped. I still find myself trying to use one arm while it is fully extended and trying to pull my arm all the way in and behind me with one hand, which is very difficult. I probably need to pay more attention and use both hands to pull the rope in closer so I dont have to pull so hard. Talk about a workout!

twenty7, you were right about the fins/no fins. The boat pulls you right around regardless of the fins.

Thanks again everyone. Now if I can just get better at ollies(currently 2-3 inches) I can start doing some oliie 180's(or whatever they are called Smile.
wakeman790
Ollie
Ollie

City: Indy

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tie your rope on a tree and practice the handle pass. once you get better slow the boat speed real donwn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: