FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

revisiting lawnmower engine idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Le Jalapeno

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: revisiting lawnmower engine idea Reply with quote

a while ago someone mentioned using a lawnmower engine in a homemade winch, people thought it would be sketchy because of the horizontal driveshaft or something like it.

well today when i was "working" i spotted a kid on a go kart, so being me i asked if i could take it for a spin, nothing with tons of power, but it had a good bit of go for the size of the engine. when i asked him he said him and someone in his family(i have a problem with listening after a long day of work) built it using a lawnmower engine.

does this mean that a lawnmower engine winch is plausible? if so that would make me very happy, because then i dont have to try to make one with my motorcycle engine=)
JeffKnox
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Jacksonville/Gainesville

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using a vertical shaft engine is just asking for problems... there are two ways you could solve it... one spool in the rope below the engine horizontally in stead of vertically ... or two useing gears to get the driven sprocket vertical... either way alot of work...

i would seriously just save and buy a good solid engine like a 7 hrse suburu or briggs

Calskater23
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: FRESNO

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Mythbusters! Laughing
Le Jalapeno

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the main reason i was asking is because i have like 3 5-6 hp lawnmowers just sitting in my garage collecting dust
JeffKnox
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Jacksonville/Gainesville

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you could do it... its just goin to be harder

the easiest way to do it would be to just have the spool under the engine and spool in the rope sideways... i don t know how well it will work ... but thats the fun of building something new... defeating the challenges of the unknown... i say do it and work out the kinks and let us know how it goes...

ps use the highest hp you got Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: