FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

trex and offbrand trex material

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Lake Norman

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: trex and offbrand trex material Reply with quote

I was at Home Depot/Lowes yesterday comparing the prices for all the parts necessary for a flatbar or incline rail (sliding material, flanges, poles, base wood, etc etc) and when I was at Home Depot they had the brown trex but then they had this same type of material wood, it wasnt the trex brand, and it was grey, but it wasnt as smooth as the trex but i could tell i think its still slideable and its a little bit cheaper and i didnt know if anybody on here has used that type. the pics are below and if someone could give their input thatd be great. I think in the "2 section flatbar" thread, nick taylor suggests the grey type that I saw or maybe he just put a pick of grey trex up there, but the incline rail that he posted 2 used that grey offbrand trex i think, unless its just the grey colored trex, im not sure. but anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.

heres the grey stuff that im talking about...

trex is the brown on top, that veranda stuff is the grey on bottom

heres trex price

K well I'd appreciate any help guys.

-Ryan[/img]
tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from the depot too haha.. but anyways.. i use the brown stuff.. but people use the grey stuff too..just make sure you're not sliding the grooved side

while were on topic of rails... nick.. if you're reading this.. have you tried the metal pole set up for a two wide trex rail?.. i know it will be a tad bit heavier but i wonder if i could use my poles and flanges.. i was just gonna mount them on the bottom of a 2x8, etc.
LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, me and my buddy last yr did that, we had 2 20ft trex pieces, on top of a 20ft 2x10 and we just used 4 1in dia. 4ft poles, and it help up fine, it sucks because the guy whose house it was in front of called the cops and we took it back to his house and dumped it in the lot next door, and hes at college down at the beach now and im still in high school and i went there like 2 weeks ago and only found one of those 20ft pieces, and im still learnin rails so i want it double wide, and i didnt know trex was that expensive...(the dock being built next door gladly donated Wink )
tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah trex puts a hole in the wallet.. sweet well i have four poles/four flanges ready to go and 4 peices of trex.. looks like im winchin this weekend.. i just wanted to make sure double wide wasnt too wide for the 1 inch poles
LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what size pieces do you have.... im trying to get some ideas... we have a rail thats supported by the actual dock supports that we put infront of his house like 2 years ago and the water is too low and wont get high enough this summer, but my friend who doesnt have common sense spraypainted the top of the rail ontop of the trex so now it wont slide but all i have to do is pry the rail off and then the trex off of the base wood piece and flip it over and rescrew it down, but i dont want to have to do all that work, i might just use that veranda brand cuz its a little bit cheaper or just my 1 piece of 20ft trex. would you say its hard for a skater that doesnt really do rails to be able to handle a single wide trex rail... i do alot of riding, just now gettin into rails, but ive done a few last summer. keep in mind its 20ft long too
tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 ft is perfect size rail.. if you're not that good, it might be tuff single wide.. is it a flatbar or an incline? i learned on single wide so it doesnt really bother me anymore but i want to try double..

i have 8 foot sections of trex cause my other rail was the "2 section flatbar" one.. 16ft incline.. single wide.. so im buying 2x8 to put the trex on top
LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its just gunna be a flatbar, so are you going to make it a 16ft flatbar double wide now, or incline... double wide is pretty easy, im no pro i just thought it was like kinda easy if you can get your balance and not slip back or forward and thats my type of rail skills and since you can do singlewides and crap, it will be easy for you
-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and top had made a flat bar outa that same thing, slides woderfully.
tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LKNboarder7982, yeah i figured we might be able to throw a little more tech off it.. i haven't decided if im making it a flat bar or incline yet.. all i have to do is add on the wedges and its an incline so i can do both in the matter of 5 minutes i guess
LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres what I have minus the 20ft trex piece because its sitting in my garage b/c i dont want it to get soaked when it rains and bend to the contour of the ground or w/e. the 2 big pvc pieces in the middle are 10 ft long. the woodboard with the 3 small pvc pieces on it is 10ft long also, then the wood frame thing is the frame i never finished for the 2 big pvc pieces last summer and i dont think it would have worked anyway, and then i have the other random pvc piece and the 2 dock floats we found last summer. anyone give me ideas with anything. draw me up an idea for the 2 big pvc pieces. i was thinking sumthing like a triangular support at each end and one in the middle, like a saw-horse or something. give me any ideas about what to do with any of this stuff.
-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those floats are sickkkk
tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch episode 2 stomped wakekast.. the rail mark enns and gaston built looks good.. do something like that with pvc on it
JamesBoardr
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: clermont

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LKNboarder7982, hey, that veranda stuff from home depot is exactly like trex and is way better than pvc. use the side with ridges, not the side that looks like wood and youll be fine. and as far as building a rail. buy 4 12'. two side by side for 24'. then youll have one 2x4 every 6' so youll end up having like five vertical posted. hammer those in with a sledge. then put 1x4 or 2x4 with a slant end into the ground as braces in different directions low on the support 2x4's. then run 2x4 at the top of the posts on both sides. a 2x8 on top, then veranda or trex on that=perfect rail...

lake tarpon, by the way. me gaston and mark built this rail. coobe is the best and faster building in the known world.
K'jellman
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Stockholm/Sweden

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesBoardr, niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice
tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesBoardr, sickkk that incline to flat looks so fun and solid.. i wish i could have a permanent set up somewhere.. might have to make a stop in clermont this summer.. haha
JamesBoardr
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lake tarpon, well i try to change it every so often so it will probably be different in a couple months, but your definately welcome to ride out here in clermont
urinal mint
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that's practically the same stuff as trex. i have it on 2 rails.
LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got my rail built today, it just the single wide 20ft trex piece with 2 2"x6"x10' pieces, and then a 1"x6"x4' piece as a brace under where the 2 10ft pieces meet. in the pic I have placed all the flanges where i would like the put the posts and just marked them so i can get a general idea. Im getting up at sunrise(6) tomorrow to take it down to my dock/ramp via skateboard and idle it to the spot where I will be setting it up all by myself until Brendon from Verge gets there and we will session it all day and get some footy, but I dont promise anything spectacular because neither of us are rail masters. I got the 60" poles(5ft) b/c i didnt want to spend 15 on the 72"(6ft)poles. we will also be getting some footy of the new 07 Synergy Bilevel he has in the makes, so we will post that up as long as my cameras stay charged. ill post tomorrow. heres the rail... its a crappy pic b/c i cant get it all in cuz its so long and in my garage and taken with my phone.

its sittin upside down so its not much to look at.
tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey.. how deep is the water going to be? 5 foot poles are way too short unless you're riding in like 6 inches of water
JamesBoardr
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lake tarpon, more like 4' or lower, but since its just round poles that have small diameter i would probably want to sink them 3'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Rails All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: