FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

starting my winch and need help figuring ratio crap(+ pics)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Lake Norman

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: starting my winch and need help figuring ratio crap(+ pics) Reply with quote

ok so i think im going to buy this motor like this comming tuesday ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140086965286&fromMakeTrack=true

then im going to order this tav-> http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/218354A.html?id=dcrnQIzH

but how do i know the TAV will fit my jackshaft or shaft or w/e comming off the motor. i know they both are 1in bore, but is that the only thing that matters or what...

according to winchskating.com to get your "winch ratio" this is it->

drive sprocket/driven sprocket x spool diameter = winch ratio

so the drive on the TAV is 12/ maybe 72 sprocket x 9 diameter spool= 1.5
or
TAV 12/ maybe 60 sprocket x 7.5 diameter spool= 1.5

so my question is, what kind of ratio am i looking for...

k heres my winch crap

ok for starters this is what im looking to do frame wise

and heres what im planning so far-->
-the 8hp briggs
-TAV w/ 12 tooth for #35 chain
-#35 chain
-sprocket/hubs(60-72)
-spool (12-14 OD, 7.5 or 9 ID, 4-6.5 width)
-1in bore gocart axle with 1/4in key
-1in bore pillowblock bearings
-1000ft of rope
-fairlead roller

now if i dont get TAV, i need help with CC setup->
-centrifigal clutch( what kind and with what drive sprocket size)
-driven sprocket (55 tooth, 60 tooth, etc etc)/hubs
-#35 chain

and i think thats about it, i know what i need, i just need help on specs gettin the right ratio for now until i cna order a tav2. help is greatly appreciated. thanks

Last edited by LKNboarder7982 on Feb 18, 2007 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody know if its possible to change out the shaft on a motor, cuz on this 8hp it has a 1in bore but its 3in long with 21/32 thread and i dont want to have something thats not going to correspond with my TAV, and they said on the page "These are engines that have externally threaded shafts on them and we had 1/4" keyways cut into them to use as a normal engine now." soo what does this mean.... could i still use a TAV on it as long as they both are 1in bore? orrr do the threads ahve to match up as well...
B-Lane
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Towanda

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the shaft is threaded and keyed? if thats the case, i dont see why it wouldn't work. unless it would throw it off balance. then you would have to change the crankshaft to one that isn't threaded.
LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok, so does anybody think it wouldnt work if i got that engine that is externally threaded butttt it has a 1/4in key way cut into it. plz let me know your thoughts id really appreciate it. also how hard is it to change out the shaft on a motor anyways? does anybody know
Rhino
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: ATX

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude get your stuff from northern tool.

This is my engine

Engine

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_48156_48156

im using a tav 10 tooth 3/4 inch bore fits engine above.
it works with the 41 chain thickist chain drive of northens site

Then I got a 60 tooth sprocket

The diffrence between 60 and 72 tooth are. More torque with a 72 tooth but if you have a tav you dont gotta worry about that. So go with the 60 tooth youll get more top speed out of it.

As far as spool. Thats the one thing I havent dailed in yet. Im going to have 1000' of bullet lines. Which Ive heard to hold that much you need a spool with 12in flanges a 7in wide drum with a 6in diameter. Im not sure how this size spool will effect the gearing ratio.

Id like to know the dimension of a grinches or a pull dozers spool. to kinda get a idea.

LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres pics of my 8hp briggs, i decided to screw the ebay deal and get one from an actual store that i can trust that doesnt have the external threads..--->

the bad thing is though, is that they had a tav2 in there that was already pre-opened and crap so when i bought my engine i opened it up to see if it would bolt to my engine and the bolts will not line up, so if you have the bolt pattern on your briggs of the picture i have it wont work for you. im going to have to do what nekkie did and buy the drive and driven part and mount the driven part of the converter on the frame 11in from the shaft or w/e. heres the pic->

ill either do what nekkie did but if the frame is too hard to work out ill just do CC b/c i think 8hp will be fine w/o torque converter. ill let yall know my frame design once i figure it out.
JB_CANSKATE
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Markham, Ontario

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the holes not line up because the Tav wouldn't sit flat too where it mounts on the engine or did the hole just line up at all? Mine wouldn't mount properly until I grinded down one of the supports on the back.

They look like the same hole pattern too me and I know alot of people have had to Mod the Tav to make it fit on their engine.
LKNboarder7982
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it coulda mounted but i woulda had to grinded down some support in the back alot like 3/4in or so. so its not worth it. ill just buy the parts of the torque converter and do what nekkkie did.
Jeff_Knox
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: J-ville

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i grinded mine down... in fact i dont know of very many people who didnt

www.myspace.com/wtfwinch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: