FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Asterisk Wakeskate Video Review (DVD)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Asterisk Wakeskate Video Review (DVD) Reply with quote

Take nine of the top pro wakeskaters to a hidden riding spot in the middle of the desert, add some rails and a film crew, and you will have a recipe for some sick wakeskating.

Read more...
Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for those of you that watched the movie and read my review, tell me what you think. Was I off the mark? Give me some feedback.
Joey White
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally think that your view of them landing tricks sketchy that should have never made it past the first stage of editing is way off. i dont really know which tricks you are talking about but i think that its good that they show them sort of land sketchy because how often do you stick a flawless run in wakeskating.
RUSSIAN
Integrity Sheep

City: Where's my beer

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Barousse, I thought your review was good, and pretty acurate. I really enjoyed the video. Justin stephens is getting real good.
there were 3 standouts-
1. Aaron reed back lip 270 out on a rail Shocked
2. Thomas' back to back dock kickflips
3. hampson fs bigspin over the dock, WHAT!
robert
Ollie
Ollie

City: Heumen, The Netherlands

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave; I think you did a pretty good review.

Justin did a nice job on the editting thing, but I think this vid was too much of the same.
Everybody is doing almost the same tricks with the same scenary.
The pool gap rail thing, i woudn't dare to hit it but it wasn't that special to watch.
I don't like the way vids are made the last years, everything is shot within a few days so it's not the best.
Just like Welcome, very nice editting but not refreshing or eye opening if it comes to the overall trick preformance.

I liked the part of Brandon Thomas, I never saw a pro-rider using The Gate so that was pretty new and refreshing.
Ofcourse Grubb's sexchange, Reeds 270 and Danny was top notch but Justin should have collected these shots and use them in a vid with only the best stuff of the last half year. Like Pointless did with Incomplete.
He also should have done something more with Las Vegas, like wakeskating in one of the hotel pools or something like that.

But you sure have to buy a copy! Very Happy
hypo
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to post my comments in another thread but it turns out that it was a 'skating' thread although the heading was asterisk....so i will repost my comments here:

got my * yesterday.

loved the video. felt a little short.. but when i saw how big the bonus area was, it made it a little better for me. watched it twice back to back. I wouldnt say it was better than sfumato. I wouldnt be without owning this video either. This video does give you more flavor because we have 3 different teams(kampus, cassette, hyperlite) represented which is kewl. I wanna see a video of some non sponsored kids that are rippin it up right along side them.

The person that stood out in this video for me 'besides hampson(expected)' was Brandon Thomas. Loved seeing someone 'perform' on that Gate. We'll be seeing alot more from this dood I'm sure.

Drew was attempting a kickflip of a rail which was pretty sick. i seen it in the 'almost' section. dont know if he landed it. would have to watch again, darn..hahaha..

Grubb trying to hit that gap, man, looks pretty dangerous, long ways down. Good that he hit the water. When Arron fell on his attempt it made me cringe.

Thomas, kick flip over that floating dock. Tight.

What I would like to know though is why is Drew and Scott's section about 10 seconds long in the main film? Definately lacked face time.

oh well, thats all I can think of now...will have to go watch again.

peace

basically, i felt i was reading my own feelings when i read your article. as always, nice job!
rukusrider103
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave,
me, ronnie, chip and lucus watched it in rukus and it was crazy haha we all had differant opinions on it. i thought it was pretty sick. yea they did land sketchy alot but then agian they filmed it in a week so idk.

livewirelp
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just go my copy in today. i can honestly say that I enjoyed it more than sfumato. as far as editing in concerned, sfumato was so frenetic and jumpy. I enjoyed how clean asterisk is. now from a riding standpoint, I thought there was some definite progression there. The sketchy landings didn't bother me at all. It all seemed to just fit together. Also, the bonus material is fantastic, as you mentioned. keep in mind that its all relative, I thought sfumato was fantastic also.
Catalyst
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Kelowna

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what do u guys like better than the movies that have been filmed over a year or the 6 day team or crew inspired videos?
Yuri
Raley

City: orlando

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Asterisk today i also liked it more than sfumato because i like the fact that it was not just a team video it was riders from diffrent companies. But one thing i didnt like about the video was that it was really short, i guess the DvD extras can make it longer but the fact that the riders parts was like 1-2 minutes and Byerly`s and Lovvet`s part was like 2 secs long. I kno that people are gonna say well it was shot in one week but they could of got more footage for the riders section. There were many new tricks and stuff you think pros arent landing consistent being pulled but this is what i enjoyed the most out of the tricks they were pulling..

1. Grubbs sexchange
2. Arron Reeds attempt at a backside flip (he had it)
3. Danny Hampsons big spin over the dock
4. Thomas back to back kickflips over the dock
5. Drew Mcgruckins attemp at landing a kickflip off an incline rail ( was very close as well)

So i loved the movie and i would say its the best wake movie i watched well mainly because it was all wakeskating and the variety of riders.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: