FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

flying tubes outlawed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Non-Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennyhill
Ollie
Ollie

City: BULL SHOALS

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: flying tubes outlawed Reply with quote

today at 5:30 pm my local dock got the call to take the wego flying tubes off the selves. the same time i was trying one for the first time and never had that much fun on the water since i first discovered wakeskating. all i know is they are outlawed in arkasas not sure if any where else.
el
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: The Sea

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not suprised. At all.
Ollie
Ollie

City: BULL SHOALS

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://boards.trailerboats.com/cgi-bin/trailerboats/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000266
scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa...like...NO WAY! Rolling Eyes

BTW Lake Powell BANNED those kite tubes on 6.16.06 http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3944049

some kids came into my shop today asking if we had them and i said NO. mommy got irriated at me for being so stern about it until i told her that multiple people have died because of them. that shut her up.

tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure this law will spready quickly to other states..
el
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: The Sea

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for the law that bans tubing in the only smooth spot on the lake.
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: cabo san lucas

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they r tryin to ban it here in nevada.
RSixxr
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

el wrote:
I'm still waiting for the law that bans tubing in the only smooth spot on the lake.

for sure.....and they should also ban pwc's from these areas as well.....i can't tell ya'll how many times i've been cuttin out only to be right along side some 8 yr old all alone on a pwc....
big country
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this stuff is a joke. After reading all the stuff on the boaters website, these people are idiots. Ive seen the video at the surf expo and it clearly shows a guy getting drilled when the kite tube flips over at about 15 ft in the air. People who constantly complains about this kind of stuff to get it banned are wrong in their own minds. Obviously this thing isnt that safe you FLY. Ive seen people get worked on tubes. I just think that you are taking a risk no matter what you do on the water and if for some reason you get hurt doing it I believe its your own fault, unless there is a reasonable manufactures defect. Its like when you go and skate in a parking lot if you fall and break your arm are you going to sue the people who own the parking lot because you were trying something there and broke yourself. If you choose to have fun and hurt yourself its your own damn fault. Take up knitting the worst that can happen is you might poke yourself
Nekton surfshop, LA trill grillz
ATXlakerat349
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude i saw this little 8 year old kid or at least he looked eight, get worked on one of those tubes. i want buy one but now that i read all this im sure they'll be ban here shortly Sad.
big country i think you might have an argument for them being ban its a pretty good point if i may say so.

big country
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything you do you have a chance of dying. Walking down the street, riding your bike, etc, but when you want to point fingers at others for something you knew had the opportunity of taking flight and possibly hurting you or killing you. My look on it is your in the wrong. I do things that I know could possibly hurt me for the rest of my life, but that is a chance I take. I dont think people should look down so heavily on people having fun, yes there is a risk, life is a risk.
Nekton surfshop, LA trill grillz
bjr
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: St. Louis

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one guy who someone posted a video on here was doing 40 mph. Does the add not say go 20?
Dered
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it does say 20, but I have heard that you wont get air born until your over 20... plus right on the tube I garentee it says "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK"... there is no way some one could sue the company... PLUS even if you were following the 20 mph limit or what ever... no one can control gusts of wind and they could come up at any time and that could seriouly chickity china the chinese chicken someone over... you cant blame the company for that either... the tubes looks pretty sweet at first glance... but when you think about it, its pretty easy to see all the ways shizzle could go wrong...
i<3wksk8
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big country, that pic in your profile is pretty gnarley. do you have any good skim videos you could post, Ive gotten really into skimming, its alot of fun.
scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big country- as much as i am a believer of darwinism and being responsible of your own actions, there has to come a point where a product is just straight up unsafe. if you get hurt in a parking lot skating then you messed up a trick. the product didnt cause it. in this case you have a product which is made specifically to fly. once it gets in the air it becomes unstable to the point where it dumps the rider off and there is nothing the rider can do to prevent it (whereas the skater might not have enough skills to land whatever trick he was trying). basically there is no amount of experience or skill that can help you fly higher and safer on the kite tube. its russian roulette.

Dered wrote:
Yeah it does say 20, but I have heard that you wont get air born until your over 20...
i saw one in action going about wakeboard speed and the kid on the thing was getting about a foot of air and then falling back down to the water. it looked like he was pullin back pretty hard on the thing, too.

Dered wrote:
no one can control gusts of wind and they could come up at any time and that could seriouly chickity china the chinese chicken someone over
exactly why the thing isnt safe. there is no way for you to have any control once you are in the air.

bottom line is that people are idiots and the product isnt safe. once enough idiots figure out a way to get injured using said unsafe product, the authorities/politicians/lawyers/etc step in and stop the idiots from using the unsafe product. i think there are actually two different lawsuits pending that are aimed at shutting Wego (kite tube mfg) down.

surfpunk
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a, couldnt agree more. i, too, am a firm beleiver and supporter of darwinism, but you cant put an unsafe product out on the market and then blame the user. not everyone goes and researches tubes before they rent one at the local marina. if people are DIEING because this product is flying too high, whether theyre going over 20 or not, that product is unsafe. 20mph is a VERY slow speed, and to expect people to go that slow is ludicrious IMO. hell, a lot of people wakeskate that fast, or faster. when was the last time you had fun going 20mph on a tube?
Mr. Top Hat
Dead

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recently i visited a gas station that sold bongs, hookas, bowls, bubblers and all sorts of other smoking devices and they were all labeled for tobacco use only. now i can understand that maybe a very small fraction of people will actually use these to smoke tobacco, but the vast majority will use them for marijuana. this is the same situation with the kite tubes because wego basically says only use it going a certain speed under certain circumstances but knows damn right that people are going to go out and use super long ropes and go really fast. both the people who make bongs and the people who make kite tubes cover their asses by saying that they will be used for something that is legal and safe when they know that the majority of the people who use these products will not use them how the companies say they should be used. its a major flaw in the legal system if you ask me. if you want people to stop smoking weed then dont let people sell bongs for tobacco use, and if you want people to stop dieing on kite tubes then dont let anyone ride them at all.
liquid
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: New Orleans

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Top Hat, true that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ripava82

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

el, RSixxr, there was some kids tubing at 6:30 this morning i woke up at 5:30 for glass and all and these shizheads are out there ruining it Mad

Dont understand!!
surfpunk
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Top Hat, the difference is that "tobacco" pipes arent killing people when theyre "mis-used". i know what youre saying about companys hiding behind thier "guidelines" or whatever you want to call them but its not quite the same. i agree that it is kind of silly that you can buy "tobacco" pipes and bongs (hookas i understand, because a lot of people really do use them for flavored tobacco), but the reason theyre not cracking down on it is because #1 its taxable/good for the economy and #2 people would still smoke weed regardless and #3 its really not hurting anyone (refer back to #2). whereas when you mis-use the flying tube, the result is serious injury or death.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Non-Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: