FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

noseslides/tailslides
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RUSSIAN
Integrity Sheep

City: Where's my beer

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: noseslides/tailslides Reply with quote

What's everyones impression of these tricks. I personally was stoked to see Thomas doing noseslides on the 4-trac. I'm waiting for a tailslide( I love tailslides on a skateboard)
I've been wondering why no one seems to give a rats ass about them though, Thomas is the only one doing them(that I know of) the mags don't really cover them and the forums never discuss them either. It's weird because the 4-track was desinged around this concept and everyone loves the 4-track shape, but nose/tails don't seem to be an issue to most people. If I had access to rails all the time I would be bustin myself trying to do these tricks. I was just watching sfumato(pretty much why I'm thinking about this right now) and Thomas does a noselide down the pink box at that one dropoff him and staker have been hittin for years. I never even noticed it was a noseslide till just now. I'm really suprised that there wasn't more "hoopla" about it. I don't think it's even been mentioned.
Is it just me, Am I crazy. Did Thomas invent the 4-track for nothing?????????

What are your thoughts? are other pro's trying them, just not landing them? Is RUSSIAN off his rocker???

Enquiring minds want to know
wakesk8r9610
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hes landind tail slides? thats new to me. thats crazy though even noseslides.
Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that Thomas is just that good and is that far ahead of everyone else. The reason you don't see Thomas do all of the wake stuff that you see other guys do is becuase wakeskating wasn't getting the coverage it is getting now at the time when Thomas was doing those things. Keep your eye on that Horrell guy...you might learn something....

Give it some more time....you will see a lot more of it.
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with dave. The 4 trac is a tad bit ahead of its time (for the average joe, at least). However, there are people out there trying to utilize its potential--aron gore was doing blunts and nose grinds with it, and chris41 on this site was trying to noseslide on his little rail. Also, I guess I really don't know the statistics, but If you don't skateboard a noseslide is going to be hard for someone to learn on a wakeskate right away (in the butter interview, as a joke thomas said like 99% of wakeboarders can't noseslide on a skateboard). Hey, I admired that noseslide on the pink box too. You can quote me as saying "gnar buckets to the nth degree."

Anyway, as time goes on more people will be able to use the 4 trac to its full potential. I know I'd like to start jibbing on the 4trac and eventually learn noseslides and I'm sure there are others out there that come from a skate background that feel the same way. I can say that doing a noseslide at 20 mph would be damn scary, but it just takes time and eventually others will catch on. But you have a very good point Russian. Quite frankly, I think some people don't catch all of the tricks that are done in that video, or we're just easily impressed. I said this before, but I couldn't believe that people weren't buzzing about danny's back to back kickflips, totally linked, no editing what so ever.

I also agree with dave in that thomas was doing wake to wake stuff way back when on his cassette "wakeboards" (the cutdown wakeboards, not the first wooden decks). Ok, everyone go and get a copy of decline and watch thomas' part. Have you seen anyone else do a toeside wake to wake bodyvarial and a heelside wake to wake frontside shoveit indy? I didn't think so. It's ridiculous, and that's why everyone needs the joint linear/decline dvd.

By the way, the mags probably don't cover it because they probably don't get it.

Oh, about that last question, Russian is DEFINITELY off his rocker. (I keed, I keed)

ollieshuvitz
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: east bay area

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that part of it is very few people have the balls (umm...i guess guts for girls?) to try NS or tailslides. I've gotten close, but the hard part is tryin to get on the rail right. It's really easy to ollie too high and go into a boardslide.

I think that it's only a matter of time until the rest of the wakeskating population catches up with Horrel. Also, how long has he had the 4-trac before any1 else? Didn't Linear Perspective come out before the 4-trac? He sticks NS Slides in the vid with a board similar to the 4-trac. So maybe its the the "Horrel Effect" and simply put, because he was a wakeskating "pioneer" if you will, he has an insane advantage over every1.

RUSSIAN
Integrity Sheep

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the responses. I think every wakeskater should own decline(Go buy it, while your there get the butter book), Thomas(and Erich) have always been ahead of his/their time. My post was more to inspire more people to join in quality discussion, rather then ask questions I can pretty much answer for myself. Athough the 4-track is way ahead of most people, I don't think it's ahead of reed and hampson.
Your right the mags don't get it. But Alliance is getting there.
I also am looking forward to Feeble/smith/crooked type tricks. can we call them grinds, you could say that your "grinding" the fin Rolling Eyes
I just want to open the kiddies minds and talk about something with substance. Ya lol yu rigt
ollieshuvitz
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian's going deep at the end there. Laughing
Todd
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Battle Ground

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the more tech "grinds" are just on the horizon.
RUSSIAN
Integrity Sheep

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good points Very Happy
dankskate
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: gainesville

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're out pickin up Decline get Boardumb too. Thomas kills it in there on a chopped down wakeboard... Some of the stuff he does includes hs bs 3, hs fs 3, ts fs 3, and the first kickflip
Frye

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive tried them before but i ride finless so its really hard to classify whether its a noseslide or just a boardslide. thats why i dont try them more because its a really big hassle to keep changing fins on and off because you have to put wholes in the grip tape and stuff

i like to do them on skateboards though. they are so fun
Rob
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Stockholm/Sweden

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every damn time I try to noseslide I end up with broken fins.... Why don't they make aluminum 4-track fins? Confused
Fredrick_Eisenhauer
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: W.A Australia

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because like alot of people said, Nose and tail slides are pretty 'new'. Nose slides and well not easy but people with a bit of grind/slide knowledge can do them with out to much difficulty (skating atleast) but tail slides are very hard. There above most people wakeskating wise.

simonDUB
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Bois-des-Filion

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas is so technical, he's probably the only one i know doing those, and he's even doing them with shuvit's at the end.

I don't know if you guys saw this but i remember seeing a pic of Aaron Reed doing a blunt slide in WBM just when the 4 track came out. I don't know if he landed it or they just snap the pic at the right time but i tought that was pretty crazy. I hope we'll see more of that trick

el
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: The Sea

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that picture of Aaron Reed frontside bluntsliding the bench rail on my wall, so cool. I know that if I fork out for a 4-trac this spring, I'll be taking full advantage of the "truck" configuration. That tiny picture of Aron Gore in Alliance a few months back really makes me want to build a floating box to mess around on.

"If you wakeskate and you can't skateboard, you're a poser." Wink

Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you wakeskate and you can't skateboard, you're a poser." el, what the hell is that?
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: The Sea

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

che, it is a goofy quote from Cole Munster in an interview with wakeskating.com. It's in the features archive if you want to check it out.
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea ive made reference to that in this site a few times before, i dont necessarily agree with it however. But i think there are two breeds of wakeskaters: wakeboarder skaters and skateboarder skaters.
ollieshuvitz
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you started wakeboarding, then skateboarding, then wakeskating? Could I choose what "breed" I am? Laughing
kyle hyams
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: maitland

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow wrote:
Have you seen anyone else do... a heelside wake to wake frontside shoveit indy? I didn't think so.

do you mean, this? Laughing

thomas.jpg

Description:
this was from WBM 06-99. talk about way ahead of his time...
 Filesize:  91.87 KB
 Viewed:  16551 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: