FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

How to anchor a rail on a steep shoreline?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norcalz71
Ollie
Ollie

City: Benicia/SLO

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: How to anchor a rail on a steep shoreline? Reply with quote

Hey guys, new here but not to the sport. I am thinking about building a floatable, low rainbow for our big lake trip this summer. I built an in ground one last year, but the clay/dirt/sand/redwood etc shoreline was insanely difficult to pound 4x4's into, even with the ends turned to a point. I think a floatable might be easier and more versatile, but my question is how to anchor it. For another familiar with Bullards Bar in NorCal, the shores are fairly steep, probably anywhere from 25-45 or 50 degrees near where we set up camp. How do i go about anchoring my rail safely on this steep shore? Another thing is the lake is drained about 6"-1' every night, so while we had a good locaion for the in ground rail, it was hard to install and was out of the water after only 1-2 days. Thanks
SleuCrew
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Oak Grove

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a solid line with a sand anchor on one end, and a anchor buddy on the other end... its a mushroom anchor with a bungee cord.

Drop the solid line and pull it tight with the boat holding the anchor buddy, drag it till its tight and setup how you want it "make sure the anchor on the solid line hooks up really good" then just drop the buddy... works great if you cant pound stuff in the ground.

The river here is tidal so we can only put stuff in the ground for a day.. then have to pull it out and start over again the next day.

""MAKE SURE YOUR EYELETS ON THE SILDER ARE SOLID OR YOU COULD KILL YOURSELF IF THE EYELET PULLS OUT"

Norcalz71
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right on, so do i want the anchor buddy on the shore side or the open lake side? imagine open lake? We all use anchor buddies for mooring at the lake when we are there for a week or so, guess ill need another.
SleuCrew
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always anchor parallel to the shore.
Norcalz71
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so how many point would you say would suffice? i know 2 is cool for the boat, but no one is hitting the boat at 20mph. I havent dealt with floaters at all, just an idea right now, but if it works that'd be sweet.
SleuCrew
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the last thing i built was a 35ft rainbow, and it use two anchors on each end parallel with the rail, the ropes sit deep enough if you use the proper length so that you dont run them over when riding up to the rail... here is a quick 2sec sketch... this should answer your questions.

Really you just need to keep it anchored parallel with the direction you are sliding, there will be little side to side play if you set the anchors properly.

LX_temp00000000.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  69.41 KB
 Viewed:  6964 Time(s)

Norcalz71
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good description, definitely think that could work well since i wouldnt have 1 side trailing into deep water with the other in the shallows, but rather both in medium depth. Now i just gotta figure out how to get something big enough to slide up to the lake.....
SleuCrew
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun... take pics or video

Wear a helmet, they are actually really cool... and much better than impaling your head into a solid object.

Norcalz71
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha no worries, i got a sick lookin bright yellow protec last season, i just go out in my life vest and float if we dont have marker buoys....
Kavanagh
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Pickering/Haliburton

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SleuCrew, thats a really perddy picture

www.sattelyte.com

http://www.sattelyte.com/production.html <<<-DAMN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Rails All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: